Easy Rhubarb Sauce

Tuesday, May 8, 2012


We had unusually warm weather in March making my rhubarb ready for a small harvest already in April.  While I was happy to have the fresh rhubarb, my fist attempt of baking with it was a  major fail.  I won't bore you with the details but the cupcakes were a sunken soggy mess.  Oh well, the great thing about having rhubarb growing in your backyard is being able to pick more!  This time I stuck with making an old stand by, rhubarb sauce.  It really is so easy and so very yummy.  Yes, you can do the usual strawberry rhubarb bars, crumble or cake but this sauce is one of my favorites. 



I'm not sure this can really be classified as a "recipe" but here goes anyway.

1.  Chop trimmed rhubarb stalks into pieces, enough to make 4 to 6 cups.  No need to be exact, chop and dump in a saucepan.

2.  Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and a splash of lemon juice.  Again, don't feel tied down to the amounts.  Adjust to your taste, you really can't ruin this sauce.

3.  Cook on medium-high heat stirring often to help break down the fruit.

4.  The sauce is done when there are no big chunks left and the sauce begins to thicken.  Now is the time to taste and add more sugar if the sauce is too tart for you. 

That's it!  Isn't that easy?  Now, I know some of you are asking, what do you do with rhubarb sauce?  I eat it just like this.  That's what my Mom used to do, serve it as a side dish just like you would apple sauce.  The possibilities really are endless though.  Serve warm or cold over ice cream, pound cake, or yogurt.  Or just enjoy the sauce as is.  Enjoy!


I have a few more rhubarb ideas in mind and will share them here soon. 
What do you like to make with rhubarb? 



Check my "Linking Up" page to see where I will be sharing this post.


0 tasty sweet comments:

Post a Comment