Girl's Weekend Rum and Cherry Coke Cupcakes

Monday, April 23, 2012


I few weeks ago I hosted some friend's from out of town.  It made for a wonderful girl's weekend with many fun memories.  The coordinator of the weekend was my dear friend Kellie, who's birthday we would also be celebrating.  When deciding what cupcakes to make for Kellie, Cherry Coke was one of my initial thoughts.  How to make them into girl's weekend cupcakes?  Rum!  Lucky for me, I had recently purchased a new cookbook (as if I didn't have enough!) that was sure to provide the perfect recipe (with just a few changes).


The title says it all, "Intoxicated Cupcakes 41 Tipsy Treats".  I think there will be more recipes being made from this book soon!  Check it out HERE if interested in getting your own copy.  I started with the Rum and Cola Cupcakes recipe:

Rum and Cola Cupcakes:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 1/3 cups sugar

½ cup cocoa powder

½ cup butter-flavor shortening, cut into small pieces

2/3 cup buttermilk

½ cup cola

¼ cup rum

1 large egg

2 egg yolks from large eggs

1.        Preheat oven to 350.  Line a cupcake pan with 24 cupcake liners.  Set aside.

2.       In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa.  Set aside.
3.       In a large bowl, beat the shortening, buttermilk, cola and rum.  Add the egg and yolks, one at a time.  When well mixed, add the flour mixture and beat for an additional 2 minutes, or until smooth.
4.       Pour the batter into the prepared cups.  Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.  Remove the cupcakes from the pan and cool completely.

Above are all original ingredients from the cookbook.  For the cola, I used Cherry Coke.  The cherry flavor wasn't as strong as I would have liked but I would make up for it in the frosting.  I was working around a red dye #40 allergy otherwise I would have added some maraschino cherry syrup for a burst of cherry flavor.  Do you remember the frosting I shared at the beginning of the month?  My Favorite Frosting recipe is what I used to top these cupcakes.  I simply added black cherry spreadable fruit and a bit of rum.  Again, maraschino cherry syrup would also work quite well to add cherry flavor but I think this black cherry spread added a nice cherry flavor without being too sweet.


I decided to add a bit of sparkle to these cupcakes.  I've seen disco dust used before by Amanda Cupcake (she makes amazing sparkly cupcakes!) and decided to give it a try for myself.  I dried the excess liquid off maraschino cherries and then rolled them in the disco dust.  I thought they made the perfect toppers for a girl's weekend treat!






The weekend also included a hike at a near by nature preserve where we learned how maple syrup was made and a beer and wine festival where many samples were had.  The cherry one top?  Spending time with friends, old and new.  




18 tasty sweet comments:

Winnie said...

These cupcakes look GREAT!
I like the idea of using cola and rum - sounds quite interesting

Angela said...

I love the disco dust on the cherries -- really gives it that beautiful "finishing touch"!!!

Karyn said...

That looks and sounds WONDERFUL!! There is a Black Cherry Rum that I love and I bet it would make a great exchange in this recipe. :) Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Boozy cupcakes?! I'm so in. They look amazing!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Delish! I love boozy cupcakes. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Cupcake and the recipe sounds yummy, and I love the disco dust but did you see that the container says for decorative arts and crafts. I looked it up it says its non toxic but is actually made of plastic and is not FDA approved for food.

Sara said...

I questioned that myself and thought of the cherries more as a decorative topper than an edible component of the cupcake.

Shannon said...

Those are so pretty and I bet they're delicious!

Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more said...

yum, they sound great, and booze makes everything better! And I love the disco dust covered cherries!

Unknown said...

These cupcakes look and sound really good. I like the cherry on top that is rolled in disco dust. I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/04/showcase-your-talent-thursday-4.html. I hope to see you there!

Michelle Day said...

Hi,

I followed you over from What’s Cooking Love Link Party. These cupcakes look incredible! I can't wait to try them out.

I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com.

Have a great day,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes were the best I've ever had!

Jocelyn said...

What a fun touch to roll the cherry in disco dust!!! Perfect cupcake for a girls weekend!!!!

cheapcraftymama said...

MMMmm, those look so yummy! I love the sparkly cherry too! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at Pin It and Win It Wednesday @ www.cheapcraftymama.com-- you can win free ad space on my blog!!

Jen @ Jens Favorite Cookies said...

These are so fun! Such a "grown-up" version of a cupcake. The sparkly stuff is... ahem... the cherry on top! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Dwell on Joy said...

Every time I see your frosting, I just drool! I hope you cater cupcakes, because you are genius! Thanks for sharing at Dwell on Joy!

Jenn @ What You Make It said...

Oh my goodness! About to swoon right now, because these cupcakes sound so delicious! I love love love cherry coke, and obviously cupcakes too! Sooo want to try : )

blakescakes said...

Disco dust is not edible. It is PLASTIC CRAFT GLITTER. It’s meant for use only on things that will not be eaten. Doesn’t matter that it’s non toxic–it’s still plastic.

To keep something edible, edible glitter made from gum arabic, sanding sugar, or gelatin should be used.

Post a Comment