Favorite Frosting

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

O.K. I'm not sure I can really pick a favorite frosting but this one ranks right up there.  It's an easy frosting to whip up in a large batch with things you most likely have in your pantry.  Most of you bakers out there have probably seen this recipe before but in different name/versions.  I found this recipe on an insert pamphlet inside my container of Wilton Meringue Powder.  It is simply called,  Fluffy Boiled Icing.  Most of you have probably seen something similar called Seven Minute Frosting.  Maybe like or unlike some of you, I have a fear of double boilers.  Not sure why, I've never had a double boiler incident that would bring out this fear.  It just seems like one of those steps in the kitchen I would prefer to avoid or skip.  The Fluffy Boiled Icing recipe was just the thing I needed.  No double boiler required, hooray!  So let's get to it, here is the recipe and then I'll tell you how I switch it up for different cupcake toppings.

Wilton Fluffy Boiled Icing

Meringue:
3 tablespoons Wilton Meringue Powder
1/2 cup cold water

Syrup:
2 cups granulate sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water

Beat meringue powder and cold water until stiff, about 4 minutes.  In a large microwave safe measuring cup, stir sugar, corn syrup and water.  In microwave, bring syrup mixture to a boil (approximately 5 minutes).  Remove when boiling stops.  Slowly add syrup to meringue mixture-while beating on low.  Beat on high for 4 minutes until stiff and glossy. 

That's it!  Easy peasy!

Yes, this recipe takes longer than 7 minutes but being able to skip the double boiler and worrying about temperature is worth it for me.  This will make a large batch and easily frosts 2 dozen cupcakes with tall swirls of frosting.  The texture is so light and fluffy, you won't feel guilty making the frosting taller than the cupcake.

I first used this frosting recipe a few months ago when I was looking for a raspberry frosting to top both chocolate and lemon cupcakes.  I made a batch of this frosting, adding a few tablespoons of seedless raspberry preserves, a teaspoon of raspberry extract and a few drops of pink food coloring.  It looked and tasted great on both the chocolate and lemon cupcakes.  I added simple candy hearts on the lemon cupcakes and a chocolate drizzle and heart on the chocolate cupcakes as these were for Valentine's Day and an Anniversary.







I next used this frosting when I had the honor of making cupcakes for my friend's son.  Aiden was celebrating his 1st Birthday and we decided on a circus theme.  I simply added some almond extract to this batch as I was topping almond marble cupcakes.  I divided up the frosting and made multiple colors to match the bright colors of the toppers I had made.  Each color was piped on the cupcakes using different tips so each cupcake was unique.  Again, easy frosting but oh so tasty!




yep, I think he liked them!


I once again made this frosting this past weekend.  This time topping Rum and Cherry Coke Cupcakes.  I added a bit of rum and cherry coke but needed a bit more cherry flavor so I added some black cherry fruit spread.  Once again, the perfect topping for some tasty cupcakes!





I know what you are thinking....how can you mention rum and cherry coke cupcakes and not share the recipe?!?  I'm going to share the recipe soon.  Today is all about the frosting.  I hope you take the time to try this recipe.  If you've never had this (or other version of) this frosting, it's worth the try!  Feel free to stop back to let me know what you think, I hope you love it as much as I do. 

Check out my "linking up" page to see where I may be sharing this post.

22 tasty sweet comments:

Lynn said...

I picked up the meringue powder a while ago but haven't done anything with it yet. Gonna give this a try-thanks:@)

Rebekah said...

I love how shiny and glossy it is....looks fantastic! I'll have to try this one for sure.

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Frosting looks wonderful!

~Carmen
http://bakingismyzen.wordpress.com

Sara said...

I know, it's one of those things that sits in the pantry but nice to have for something like this!

Sara said...

I love how this one looks too! Try it and let me know what you think.

Sara said...

Thanks so much!

Sara said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aisling said...

Looks gorgeous and silky.

MomLaur said...

Totally loving how this looks - wondering as to the flavour, is it similar to buttercream? Because I'm not a big fan of buttercream unless done right...or bettercreme? Thanks! I'll be trying this out!

Sara said...

No, the frosting does not taste like buttercream. It is light and fluffy and tastes mostly like marshmallow to me.

Shannon said...

I haven't ever tried this, but I'm glad I found your post--I have been wanting to find a good frosting recipe!!

Shannon@SewSweetCottage

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Beautiful! I must try this recipe.

Paula@SweetPea said...

This looks really good! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

I'm visiting from Serenity Now.

Unknown said...

WOW! They look amazing!!!! Thanks so much for sharing @ Two Sasters!!

Marcy said...

I love how shiny the frosting is! Do you recommend keeping the items with this frosting in the fridge, or can they be left at room temperature for long periods of time? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

- The Aѕtro Flight - Sunriѕe, an unmаnned aіr νehicle deνeloped in 1975 ωas the 1st ѕоlaг-powered аirсгaft.
Оne iѕ a іntеractiѵe system thаt іs сonnectеd tο
the utіlity griԁ and sеlls еxcess еnergy yοur syѕtem produсеs back
tο the elесtric company, which meаns lowег
eleсtric billѕ. Indiνiduals from commerсe аnd fіnаncе also
have opportunіtіeѕ іn thiѕ "go green" іnduѕtry.


Нerе is my homеpage: solar energy

Anonymous said...

Do you have a problem with this frosting becoming grainy?

Unknown said...

How long will it keep....lots of left overs!

Wilton Recipe said...

Totally loving how this looks - wondering as to the flavour, is it similar to buttercream? Because I'm not a big fan of buttercream unless done right...or bettercreme? Thanks! I'll be trying this out!

Anonymous said...

Can you frost a cake with this cream?

Anonymous said...

Your article has piqued a lot of positive interest. I can see why since you have done such a good job of making it interesting. birmingham wedding cakes

Post a Comment