Homemade Ice Cream? Yes, Please!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012


Last week on my facebook page I asked the question, "What appliance/gadget do you have that you rarely use (if ever)?"  The answers ranged from waffle makers to sno cone makers.  Everyone has something like that.  The gadget that sits in the box it came in, maybe used once.  With summer coming and the weather getting warmer, I decided to dust off my parent's ice cream maker and make a sweet treat.  I've never made, let alone had rhubarb ice cream but it was a flavor that sounded good for this time of year.  As you know, I just made easy rhubarb sauce.  I figured this would be the easiest way to incorporate rhubarb flavor into the ice cream.  If you have an ice cream maker, I suggest you give this one a try!


Rhubarb Ice Cream  makes 4 quarts

4 cups Half & Half
4 cups Heavy Cream
2 cups Sugar
1 tbs. Vanilla
Pinch of Salt
3 cups Rhubarb Sauce (this is how much I happened to have left, use more for more rhubarb flavor)

Place first 5 ingredients in ice cream can and stir well.  Stir in rhubarb sauce.  Insert dasher into can and cover.  Place can in bucket and surround with alternating layers of ice and rock salt until you reach the top.  Attach motor and plug in.  The machine really does all the work.  How easy do we have it!  This is where my Dad informed me that as a kid he had to take turns with his siblings turning the crank by hand!

Each ice cream maker may follow slightly different directions but most are this easy.  Makes you want to make your own ice cream, doesn't it?  If you have a maker, dust it off and give this a try.  If you've ever thought about getting one, I highly recommend it.  The hardest part is the waiting.  Once it is done turning in the machine (about 45 minutes in ours) you still need to freeze it until hard (overnight is best).  Well worth the wait! 


I ended up making more rhubarb sauce which made an excellent topping on this ice cream.  If you like rhubarb, this is a must try.  I really feel bad for anyone that doesn't have their own ice cream maker.  I can't wait to see what other flavors I can make this summer.



0 tasty sweet comments:

Post a Comment