This weekend I actually made LAST week's recipe and THIS week's recipe. Please don't tell Joy, I don't want her to be disappointed in me.
So I actually was thinking, what would it be like to have Joy as a guest. Would I do right by her preparing a great meal? Would Izzy scare Joy with her over zealous greeting? Maybe and most likely yes but wouldn't it be swell anyway!
This past Saturday, my sister and I started our day by going to the local farmer's market. I was a bit crabby as my sister texted me at 7:15 but it was worth it to get there early and have the best pick of everything on display. I really love the variety our market offers. Between there and my family's garden, I feel blessed to have the freshest and best fruits and veggies, even breads and cheese too. We made quite the hall at the market and put on a great spread for our family in the afternoon. Here's a list of our afternoon smorgasbord:
- Homemade crostini using basil/tomato sourdough bread from the farmer's market.
- Pasta with homemade pesto using basil from my family's garden.
- Caprese kabobs using tomatoes and mozzarella from the market/basil from the garden.
- Corn on the cob from the market with garlic butter/parmesan using corn and garlic from the market.
- Cucumber salad using fresh picked cucumbers from the garden.
- Two varieties of fresh local cherries from the market
- Pesto dip for crackers or crostini using the homemade pesto. (will share my recipe later)
- Meat and cheese platter with wasabi gouda and garlic dill cheese curds from the market.
I made a fresh basil and lime garnish to top off these wonderful pancakes! This recipe was amazing, I loved them! They were simple to make with few ingredients but they pack a great flavor. The zucchini was fresh from the family garden. I hate to brag but my addition of the basil sour cream and lime really was a hit!
This is a picture I posted on instagram that afternoon. It really was an impressive display and we had enough for lunch, dinner and leftovers for the next day. I made the comment to my family that afternoon, "this is how I imagine I'd eat if I lived in the Mediterranean"! That was the truth, it was such a relaxing afternoon with great food and great company. It was an olive oil and garlic filled day! I think Joy would approve too. Until the time came for dessert and I was totally behind on making this week's recipe, Espresso Granita with Sweet Lemon Cream.
The recipe would have made the perfect light ending to this lunch and dinner. Unfortunately I didn't make it as is or on time. I made my own take on granita with a tart margarita flavor and lemon lime cream. It was just enjoyed the next day instead. Granita is pretty fail proof and who am I kidding, I fell pretty darn fancy saying granita!
I'll post some pictures of the granita when I can. I should say IF I can, another busy work week for me! I hope you all had a good weekend and are ready to face the week.
Do you have any favorite farmer's market items? Or maybe at home garden goodies? Fresh is always best, don't you think?