Cupcakes Replaced By Candy

Monday, December 19, 2011

I took a break this weekend from baking cupcakes but was still in the kitchen.  My friends and I had our second annual Christmas candy making day.  On Saturday, cupcakes were replaced with all sorts of other sweet treats.  We were very ambitious, here is the list off goodies we made: oreo truffles, cookie dough truffles, peanut butter kiss cookies, peanut butter balls, fudge, sugar cookies, pumpkin cookies, corn flake wreaths and cracker toffee bark.  I was stressed for a while about the size of my kitchen (small) and the amount of room needed (a lot!) for all this candy to set up.  I needed a gentle reminder from my friend to just relax (and have a glass of wine).  That reminder was exactly what I needed.  If I didn't take the second to step back, I would have missed out on enjoying the time with friends and the many laughs.  Seeing a friend use a hand mixer for the first time was just one of the moments that made me laugh. 


containers waiting to be filled with goodies



some of the candy and cookies we made



Reminders to step back and take it all in are often needed around busy times like the holidays.  To do lists get long but sometimes have to wait in order to fully enjoy these times spent with friends and family.  It is also that hustle and bustle that gets me in the Christmas spirit.  I'm usually the one to procrastinate with shopping and decorating.  My tree is up but there are still presents to be bought.  There is also a lot of baking to be done this week.  I'll be attempting tiramisu cupcakes for the first time.  Cookies-n-Cream cupcakes will be made for my sister's birthday and my week is starting and ending with more Peppermint Hot Chocolate cupcakes.  I hope to also fit in making some chex mix and candied pecans to give as gifts along with plates of the wonderful cookies and candies made this weekend.  I love giving something home made as a gift.  It's the "one size fits all" kind of gift that is bound to please even the pickiest of recipients.

my newest ornament reads "She has it on very good authority that Santa prefers champagne and cupcakes". now that's my kind of Santa!


Yes, this week will be very busy.  Lots of baking, buying and wrapping to fit in amongst working my "real" job.  Stressful?  A little.  Worth it?  You bet!  I love this time of year.  Nothing beats spending time with friends and family over the holidays.  Merry Christmas from me and Izzy to each of you and your families.  During this busy week to come, remember to relax and enjoy every bit of it (wine optional).

0 tasty sweet comments:

Post a Comment