Birthday Week

Friday, March 9, 2012

Last week I had a short break from baking but I'm right back at it this week.  Doing a few special orders  but I'm also on a mini Birthday vacation here.  No, not laying on the beach, whooping it up in Vegas or hitting the slopes in Utah (I have friends that have recently done/doing each of those things....so jealous!).  Just enjoying 5 days off from my real job (the one that pays the mortgage) and counting down the days to my birthday. 

You see, I tend to make a big deal out of my birthday.  I've never been one to care about saying my age or shy away from making the day (sometimes a week) all about me!  So each of these days I'm trying to make the most out of every minute and enjoy.  I've had a few surprises including a homemade giant cookie with malted milk balls inside ~which is my absolute favorite candy!  Last night I had friends surprise me by taking me out to a wonderful sushi dinner.  AND I've got a Hobby Lobby gift card burning a hole in my pocket!  Did I mention my birthday isn't until Sunday?  Looks like this is turning into a Birthday Week!  Dinner out again tonight, bloody marys and brunch tomorrow, seeing author Jodi Picoult tomorrow night and celebrating with family on Sunday.  The best part of our celebration on Sunday is that my Mom still bakes me a birthday cake. 

This year's cake is a Cappuccino Fudge Cheesecake.  You see my Mom is an amazing cheesecake maker and when I found this recipe over at Annie's Eats it was instantly added to my list of cheesecake requests for Mom.  I'm told the cheesecake is done and waiting for Sunday.  WHAT?  Cheesecake is done and we are not eating it until Sunday?  No, the flavors need to meld according to the cheesecake queen!  When it comes to cheesecake, Mom is boss so I guess we'll listen to her and wait.  I'll give you a full review next week but I already know it will be fantastic!  I'm also thinking of having the Cheesecake Queen (no, she doesn't make us call her that) do a guest post here on the blog.  She's entered her cheesecakes in a few competitions (and won!) so I'm hoping she will decide to share some cheesecake tips, tricks and maybe a recipe here with all of you.

O.K. on to the cupcakes bringing sweetness to my week.  Yesterday I delivered some treats for Sheila to bring into work for her birthday.  She requested Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes and Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Frosting.  The Cherry Chocolate Chip I made in cute tulip papers in an attempt to summon Spring.  The weather has been warming up, snow has melted away, it's just a matter of time now!  The light lemon taste made me think of Summer and lemonade too, I'm thinking there will be many more lemon type recipes coming soon.

Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Frosting

Today I made some Blue Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting.  These were for a bridal shower with a nautical theme.  I made some edible toppers (blue anchors using a candy mold) and some non-edible (flags with the couple's monogram or names).  The mini cupcakes were placed in blue/white paper cups. 



Congratulations to the happy couple!

I also picked up my Girl Scout cookie order yesterday.  Thinking up ways I could incorporate them into cupcakes.....or I just might eat them!.....stay tuned for that.  Also, check back Tuesday for a special post for the release of How To Eat A Cupcake and give-away!


I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, I know I will!



1 tasty sweet comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday - it's just after Midnight on the day you were born! Hope you have a wonderful day and a great end to your Birthday Week!!!

Sue & Terri

Post a Comment